Deputy Court Clerk
The Deputy Court Clerk I is a full-time, permanent position in the Court Department. This is an entry-level, probationary position within the Court department. The immediate supervisor for this position is the Municipal Court Clerk and/or the Senior Deputy Court Clerk. The person in this position is supervised on a daily basis. The person in this position has no supervisory responsibilities. The Deputy Court Clerk I works regular hours most of the time, with some flexibility when required. This position requires occasional overtime when the workload demands it. There is some night work. The person in this position is never on call. 95% of the work for this position is indoors; 5% of the work is outdoors when transporting documents to court. The position has accountability for monetary, fiscal, safety and legal issues related to the work for which this position is responsible.
There is no exposure to chemicals and/or hazardous materials. The person in this position must have a high school graduation or equivalent, prefer some additional coursework related to courts, data processing and related areas. Physical work involved with this position includes, but is not limited to, lifting file boxes, climbing stairs and sitting for long periods of time. Fill out and return the printable application at the bottom of this page.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Maintain all court files
- Process traffic citations for court docket
- Process all paperwork from an arrest for the court docket.
- Prepare copies of the docket and ensure that they are given to the necessary parties
- Provides information at the court window and on the telephone to defendants, attorneys and general public
- Receives legal documentation for filing, reviews documentation for appropriate signatures and format and forwards questionable documents to the Municipal Court Clerk
- Maintain and process all daily payments and fines.
- Enter all court orders and process any and all paperwork for proper filing with the Department of Public Safety.
Provide administrative support to the Municipal Court of Horn Lake
- Records, receipts and disburses various monies collected by the court in the form of fines, fees, restitution and bonds
- Determine through Dockets the status of failure to appear traffic tickets
- Prepare case folders for all individuals processed through the courts
- Input data, indexes, updates, maintains, correct errors and verify data on the computer
- As a courtroom clerk, keeps records for payments of fines, enters orders, processes fine payments, and provides assistance to Judges, Prosecutors and all other attorneys.
Provide other administrative duties
- Document general information on individuals
- Attends court
- Assist the public with all questions concerning the municipal court
- Process proper paperwork for Defensive Driving School and MASEP
- File papers, tickets, warrants, etc.
Perform other duties as directed
- Knowledge of local and government accounting principles
- Court processes and procedures
- General departmental office procedures
- Proper grammar and use of English in speaking and writing
- Computerized software, including word processing and spreadsheets
- OSHA standards and regulations concerning employee safety
- Federal and state statutes and local ordinances concerning the work of the department
- Mathematical skills, including addition, subtraction, division and multiplication
- General functions and operations of municipal government
Skills and Abilities
- Data entry skills
- Time management skills
- Organize and prioritize work
- Accurate typing and data entry using a personal computer
- Use various pieces of office equipment, including computers, photocopiers and facsimile machine
- Use a multi-line telephone system to answer and transfer calls
- Use a 10-key adding machine or calculator
- Prioritize daily workflow
- Work as a team member with other employees
- Meet specified or required deadlines
- Make decisions within specified time restraints
- Communicate effectively with residents, elected officials, other city employees, etc., both oral and written
- Maintain confidentiality
- Work autonomously when necessary
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions
- Deal with others in a professional manner
- Maintain professional composure in heated situations
- Follow departmental and city procedures
REPORTS TO: Municipal Court Clerk, Senior Deputy Court Clerk