Deputy Clerk/Administrative Assistant

Career Description

The Deputy Clerk/Administrative Assistant position is a full-time and permanent position of the Planning Department. The immediate supervisor for this position is the Planning Director. The person in this position has no supervisory authority. This position works regular hours year round, although at times it may require more than the scheduled hours. The person in this position is never required to perform shift work and is never on call. This position is 95% indoors while remaining 5% outdoors on community projects at times. This position has accountability for monetary and fiscal issues related to the work for which the position is responsible.

There is never exposure to chemicals and/or hazardous materials. The General Clerk/Administrative Assistant position may be required to attend relevant training to enhance skills with good math skills essential to the success of this position in order to calculate mechanical, plumbing, electrical and building permits by determining values. Knowledge of city zoning regulations is a must. This position requires a high school diploma or GED. Physical work involved with this position includes, but is not limited to, lifting file boxes and sitting for long periods as well as participating in special projects.

Job Requirements

Responsibilities:

  • Assist customers with general questions

  • Setup all building inspections

  • Enter all permit applications into MUNIS Software

  • Process all business licenses and enter into MUNIS Software

  • Prepares file folders for each new project, commercial and residential

  • Maintain accurate database on all activities via spreadsheet and MUNIS Software

  • Determine water and sewer tap fees, in addition to building and planning fees

  • Manage and maintain contractor licensing

  • Maintain via MUNIS actual money received to match receipts

  • Monitor and order all supplies necessary for the efficiency of the department

  • Assist Planning Director as needed with preparing packages, Planning Commission and Design Review Board

  • Prepares all correspondence necessary for various companies, contractors, vendors, and citizens

  • Maintain subdivision bonds and ensure bonds are collected in a timely manner

  • Work collaboratively with the Building Inspector and Code Enforcement Officers to enhance customer service

  • Log all inspections and complaints

  • Manage all electronic data

  • Manage all planning forms and applications up-to-date

  • Answers and directs numerous calls, including but not limited to requests regarding subdivision, zoning and building regulations

  • Assist customers in completing permit applications

  • Answers and directs numerous calls

  • Process public records requests

  • Process notary requests

  • Type memos

  • Greet citizens

  • Knowledge of general city operations and general City of Horn Lake information, for example: including but not limited to population, various demographics, etc.

  • Other duties as assigned

Necessary Skills

Knowledge:

  • City phone and computer system
  • MUNIS municipal software
  • Permits and license fees along with state and county regulations
  • Construction codes and regulations
  • Business licensing
  • Basic accounting
  • Federal and State statutes concerning the work of the department
  • Mathematical skills, including additions, subtraction, division and multiplication
  • General functions and operations of municipal government
  • Mississippi Board of Contractor regulations
  • Municipal law and procedures


Skills and Abilities:

  • Customer service skills
  • Organizational skills
  • Heavy research skills
  • MUNIS municipal software
  • Maintain patience
  • Prioritize daily workflow
  • Well motivated
  • Positive attitude
  • Work well within public
  • Work as a team member with other employees
  • Meet specified or required deadlines
  • Make decisions within specified time restraints
  • Communicate effectively with residents, elected officials, other City employees, etc., both oral and written
  • Maintain confidentiality
  • Work autonomously when necessary
  • Handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions
  • Deal with others in a professional manner
  • Maintain professional composure in heated situations
  • Develop, implement, and follow departmental and City procedures
Posted: Department:
Jun-20-2018 Planning