Job Title: Paramedic
Department: Fire Department
Hours: Full Time
Horn Lake Fire Department is seeking a Nationally Registered Paramedic.
The Paramedic position is a full-time, permanent position in the Fire Department. The immediate supervisor for this position is the Lieutenant. The person in this position is supervised on a daily basis and may oversee one full-time employee. The Paramedic works regularly scheduled hours year round, with occasional overtime or night/shift work when the work load demands it in emergency situations. This position works 30% indoors with 70% outdoors and requires work to be done in all types of weather conditions. The position has accountability for safety and legal issues related to the work for which this position is responsible.
There is exposure to chemicals and/or hazardous materials only in emergency situations, which patients have been in contact with. This exposure includes but is not limited to the products of combustion such as plastics, rubber, gasoline, and other petroleum products and various types of chemicals. The person in this position must be nationally registered as a Paramedic, hold an MS State Certification as a Paramedic along with an EMS drivers license and a state valid driver’s license and keep up with all certifications and CEU’s. The stress level associated with this position is higher during emergency situations. Physical work involved with this position includes but is not limited to some of the same activities done by fire division personnel.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. Characteristics described in this job description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform them.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the class.
- Provides emergency medical services for the city
- Accurately completes written and verbal reports on patient care to hospital emergency departments
- Checks medications and equipment daily to ensure proper control and inventory
- Required to transfer, lift and move patients while employing appropriate safety and lifting techniques
- Utilize city computer system for patient care documentation, record keeping, pre-incident planning and other job-related functions
- Ensure that equipment is fully prepared and functional at all times
- Acts as a first responder to all types of emergency situations within response area
- Ensures that equipment is fully prepared and functional at all times
- Performs and documents required equipment inspections as assigned
- Participates in preventative maintenance on medical apparatus, and station maintenance
- Prepares various reports and other documents
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned
- Knowledge of emergency medical care at the paramedic level; local codes related to EMS emergencies, state statutes, city ordinances, and standard office practices and procedures.
- Location and direction to all hospitals in DeSoto and Shelby Counties
- General map reading skills
- Familiarity with existing triage, treatment and patient transport protocols
- Proficiency in advanced life support procedures
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to follow both written and oral communication; ability to communicate in a written and verbal manner; ability to exercise appropriate safety tactics in medical emergencies
- In addition to BLS (basic life support) skills, must be proficient in advanced life support (ALS) skills including but not limited to IV therapy, cardiac monitoring, advanced airway control and a variety of medication therapies
- Ability to handle high levels of personal stress and to maintain composure under a variety of adverse conditions, including verbal and physical, witnessing death and critical injuries
- Operate equipment properly and safely
- Work as a team member with other employees
- Make decisions within specified time restraints
- Work autonomously when necessary
- Deal with others in a professional manner
- Maintain professional composure in heated situations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with public and other employees
- Follow departmental and city procedures